Walk London Partner Pack
What is Walk London?
Walk London is a month-long challenge by Go Jauntly and Transport for London, to encourage people to walk at least 20 minutes a day in May. Walking 20 minutes each day adds up to 140 minutes a week which is a great weekly target. It’s also very close to the NHS recommendation for adults to get at least 150 minutes of exercise per week.
Why should people sign up for the Walk London challenge?
● Walking allows you benefit from those micro-moments of community connection which enhances your wellbeing.
● Walking is carbon and emission free, so it is good for London’s environment and it’s also good for walkers too! Ditch the car for short trips and walk or cycle instead.
● The science shows that if every Londoner walked for 20 minutes each day, there would be £1.7bn savings to the NHS in treatment costs over 25 years.
● When things feel mentally tough, go on a 20 minute walk. It can help reduce feelings of stress and anxiety. The science shows that 20-30% of cases of depression could be prevented by people treating themself to a walk.
● Unfortunately 4 in 10 children in London are considered to be overweight or obese. It is one of the highest levels in England. Around 57kg of carbon could be saved per year if every young person in London walked instead of being driven one mile to school and back.